College Selection Process
Getting into college takes hard work, commitment, and attention to dates and details. An admission decision, GPA, or test score is not a full measure of your abilities.
RESEARCH the colleges that you are interested in attending. Do they have the major you want to study? How much does it cost? What do you need to do to get admitted?
GO VISIT THE COLLEGE!! Take a detailed tour and talk specifically with an advisor/admissions counselor.
BE open-minded and trust your instincts in choosing a college. Make the best choice of where to apply and which college to attend based on information you gather and college visits.
There is a great deal of information to consider when planning for college. The Guidance Counselors at Andrew are here to help you go through the process.
Applying to College
When applying to colleges there are several steps a student needs complete. Make sure you have completed all of the following steps. If you need help, visit with your counselor, or sign up for the College and Career Center during second hour.
1. Fill out the on-line application through the college website or through Common App, if the school participates in the Common App.
2. Request transcripts, either through your counselor with a transcript request form, or through Parchment.com. Please note, there is transcript fee with either process.
3. Take time to write a strong essay. A compelling essay can make the difference. Visit the Literacy Center at Andrew to get some help with your essays.
4. Teacher recommendations; rovide your teachers a recommendation information sheet and a two week window to write a letter for you.
5. Take notice of deadlines, make sure you are conscientious of the school's deadline to submit all elements of the application (ie. letter of recommendation, transcripts, essays)